Level editor tool
Available in Happy Wheels since version
Shapes are the general objects in the level editor. Shapes are mainly the most used part of the average Happy Wheels level. There are three kinds of shapes.
Their width and height can be changed as well as the coordinates. Rotation is also an option except for the circle.
The shape's color can be adjusted by using the new color selector, or pasting color hex codes.
Shapes can be set to become interactive, fixed and sleeping. Making shapes interactive makes them touchable and able to be collided with other things. Unchecking the interactive box will make the shape untouchable and used as art. For the fixed and sleeping options, the shape must be toggled interactive before toggling. With the fixed option untoggled, the shape will have enabled physics and mobility. Checking the fixed option will make the shape stuck at the same place all the time, making it motionless. For the sleeping toggle to function, the fixed toggle must be unchecked for the shape to be affected. A sleeping shape has no physics applied until something collides with it. For a sleeping shape to be awakened, something non-fixed and non-sleeping must touch it. It can also be be awakened from its sleep by a trigger.
You can change the opacity, in which 0 is completely invisible no matter what the color, 50 is a light version of the color and 100 is bold. 100 and 0 work the best.
Shapes can have different collision settings. The first collision will make the shape collide with everything that has physics on. The second collision will have the shape collide with everything except for characters, non-player characters and character vehicles. The third collision will not make the shape collide with anything. It works like an uninteractive shape, but they can be attached to pin joints. It is often used for creating simple animations that don't collide with anything. The 4th collision collides with everything except for other collision 4 shapes. The 5th collision value only collides with fixed shapes, while the 6th collision collides only with fixed shapes and other collision 6 shapes. The 7th collision makes the shape only collide with characters, non-player characters and character vehicles.
The shape density can also be changed. Density works like weight, the higher it is, the heavier the shape is. The maximum density is 100 and the minimum density is 0.1. A shape density of 0.0. will result in the Black Hole Glitch.
Shapes can be grouped with other shapes, so if a shape is in a group, the group will be a singular object. For example you can group a shape with four other shapes and they will all work as a single object and will all fall down, rotate, and move at the same time. Fixed shapes can't be grouped.
Shapes can be jointed with the pin joint tool (as long as the shape isn't fixed). Connecting 2 shapes together or 1 shape and an object with a pin joint will connect them together. Connecting a single shape without another shape or object being connected will joint the shape to the background.
Rectangles are box-like kinds of shapes. They have four sides and four right angled corners. You can edit the width and height of them, maximum of both is 5000 and minimum is 5. Rotating them is also an option. This is the most commonly used shape. In the mobile version, the minimum and maximum sizes are different; the smallest possible size is 5.76, while the largest possible size is 5760.
Circles are circular shapes. Their width and height are locked together so they will change at the same time when either is one is changed. Like the triangle and rectangle, highest value of width/height is 5000. Rotating a circle will not affect anything. In the 1.61 update, the new inner cutout option is supposed to be used for wheels. The inner cutout, however, is only a visual change. This is a requirement of Box2D - the game's physics engine, as stated by Jim in a news post.
A triangle has three sides and three corners, hence the prefix 'tri-', which means three. They can be adjusted with their width and height. The maximum width and height value is 5000, but the minimum height value is 15, with the minimum width value being 5. These triangles are always isosceles (at least two sides are the same length). In the mobile version, the minimum and maximum sizes are different; the minimum width is 5.76 and the minimum height is 17.28, while the maximum width is 1728 and the maximum height is 5184.
- Having a shape with the color on the outline but no color on the inside will result in being unable to use the joint inside the open area.
- The rectangle can make squares, just have the width and height equal.
- It is impossible to make a scalene triangle (a triangle in which all three sides are different lengths) with the triangle shape, although you can do this with the polygon tool. You can only make isosceles triangles.
- It is also impossible to make ovals via shapes, although you can create shapes with many vertices that resemble ovals with the polygon tool, or by use of the art tool.
- Triangles with an equal width and height are not actually equilateral triangles.
- When a fixed shape has been set to non fixed by a trigger, the density will always be 1. Shapes that were previously unfixed that have been set as fixed by a trigger, if they have been unfixed again, their density will still be the amount they had originally.
- Shapes did not initially have the aspect to be set as non-interactive.
- The shapes' original default color was a lighter blue (color HEX: 3399FF). This was changed to a slightly darker blue (color HEX: 3D88C7) for unknown reasons.
- In the level editor, a polygon can overlap the circle. But when testing, the circle overlaps the polygon. This is likely a glitch.
- In the mobile version, you can change the density of a shape even if the shape is set to fixed, but not when the shape is non-interactive.
- In the mobile version, despite being able to change a shape's collision setting to up to 6 settings, only the first four work properly.
- Back in 2011, when you placed an unfixed triangle down in the level editor and tested the level, the game would crash. This was fixed.