Level editor item
Special item category
Available in Happy Wheels since version
Submissions for NPCs were opened as soon as the regular NPCs became available, and the first seven characters were released to the public in a .zip file (see Custom Non Playable Characters). So far, no user-submitted NPC's have been added to the level editor and Jim Bonacci has not commented on whether or not there will be any user-submitted NPCs, or any NPCs that aren't also playable characters.
During the time the 'Mailman' character was accidentally released, he was only available as an NPC. It later turned out that 'Mailman' was actually the Indiana Jones based character, Explorer Guy. Jim said that he would make an NPC of himself sometime, but has not got around to doing so.
NPCs have relatively more options than other special items. Players may adjust the character's limb joints, including their arms, legs, elbows, knees, and necks, by either using the sliders to adjust the angles or by double clicking on them and clicking and dragging the limbs to the desired pose. NPCs can be flipped horizontally, set to sleeping, and interactivity is adjustable. They can also be set to "hold pose", which, as the name suggests, has the character hold their pose instead of simply going limp during the level.
Main article: Custom Non Playable Characters
Many people make their own NPCs to be original. Many of these NPCs share the same art style as Jim, and are used in their levels.Many level designers make lots of importable NPCs for others to use, like a knight, an athlete, a ninja, or even zombies.
- An NPC cannot die when they get ripped in half or get their pelvis crushed, even 5 seconds after the occurrence. They will only die if they gets stabbed in the head or if their head or body burst.
- When you click on a Segway Guy NPC or make him transparent, you can see Wheelchair Guy's torso inside.
- This may be because Segway guy was constructed around Wheelchair Guy's body.
- If you position an NPC to to have their legs spread apart and their arms straight over their heads and have them hold their pose, any character but medium and large characters will start to move backwards by dragging their front leg towards them and lifting their back leg away from them.
- NPCs have the most toggle options in the game.
- The baby boy of Irresponsible Mom does not have a mouth or shadowing on his lip and under his nose. This might have been an error.
- NPCs cannot expand their fingers like playable characters can.
- NPCs contain more blood than playable characters.
- NPCs take up the second most shapes in the level editor out of all objects, behind the chain with a link count of 25 or more.
- Though NPCs do not have an opacity option, you may change their opacity by setting the (uninteractive) non-player character as a group and changing the group's opacity.
- As each NPC contains the same limb structure, all of them have the same shape count regardless of size.
- Unlike playable characters, NPCs are incapable of having their feet broken off their lower legs. This also means that NPCs will never say their voice 1 and 2 speech as they require one of their feet broken.
- Segway Guy, Irresponsible Dad, Explorer Guy, Santa Claus, Pogostick Man, Irresponsible Mom, and Helicopter Man NPCs do not wear their headgear.
- Walking NPCs can be made with a walking mechanism. This can be done by placing a circle in between the characters legs, placing a rectangle through the characters body, and two other smaller circles off to the side.