Level editor item
Available in Happy Wheels since version
The finish line is used to complete a level. It is one of the the few items that has been used ever since Happy Wheels began in June 2010.
The finish line consists of a red rectangular block with 20 upside-down triangles underneath it. There is also a black-and-white checkered flag flowing on a pole.
When a character crosses the finish line, a somewhat short, triumphant fanfare plays and stars of blue, pink, purple, and yellow come pouring out of the flag stick. Text saying "VICTORY" also pops up as you cross it. Afterwards, the menu pops up and your level time is also shown, which it can then be saved as a replay. This menu also has the options to view your replay, save your replay, add the level to your favorites, restart the level, exit to the menu, or resume, which simply removes the menu from the screen, although it doesn't remove the "VICTORY" sign. If the player dies before touching the finish line, it will have no effect.
The finish line was the only way to complete a level until v1.48, when the tokens were introduced. If you get the exact amount of tokens that are shown in the right top corner you also finish. In Happy Green Hills, there is a unique finish where you hit black and white checkered blocks instead of the standard finish or tokens.
You can now do this with triggers, however for this, you don't have to be alive to finish the level, unlike the finish line and sometimes tokens.
- Sometimes, although quite rare, if you die the exact time you hit the finish line, you will win, but no victory sound will be heard.
- The checkering on the flag is in a 5x7 pattern with 18 black squares and 17 white squares.
- The victory tune will be extra loud if you place muitiple finish lines in the same place and touch them.
- The Happy Green Hills finish line is not available in the Level Editor, but a replica can be made.
- You can only finish a level in ._0, ._3 or ._6 seconds.
- Back in 2010 (the date is unknown), when you finish a level, you will not see how long it took for you to complete the level.
- If the player is using a Multi Playable Character, a secondary character cannot trigger a victory with the finish line regardless if alive.
- Sometimes, you do not actually have to touch the finish line to win, the player just has to get near it, most of the time this is when a character is on top of some NPC's and the NPC's and the character are linked together to touch the finish line.
- If you pause the game, the flag will still be waving.